Bread Making Tips – Collapsed Bread
Bread Making Tips: When baking bread, especially with bread machines, we expect nearly perfect loaves. When it doesn’t turn out this way we are often left wondering why, what went wrong? There is nothing more puzzling than an entire loaf that collapses.
- Bread making machine open – Your unit should be closed and secure during the rising and baking cycles. Bread that is unable to reach its internal baking temperature is more likely to collapse before it can stabilize in height.
- Bread pan too small - If your bread pan is too small for a particular recipe, dough could potentially rise to a height within your bread maker that restricts the air circulation necessary for baking and cooling.
photo credit: avlxyz
- Liquids temperature – Yeast, a living organism, is responsible for the bread’s leavening. Once it has been provided with moisture (liquids) and food, the process begins. Yeast is extremely sensitive to temperature. By adding water that is 140 degrees or higher, we can effectively kill all the yeast in our mixture. Even when we don’t kill the yeast, high temperatures tend to speed up its action, causing the dough to rise to fast. It is important to keep liquid temperatures in mind when mixing. Try to use ingredients which are room temperature.
- Salt - Salt serves several functions. Obviously it enhances flavor but it also helps control the process of yeast fermentation and it strengthens the gluten within the dough. In essence, salt helps to improve dough’s elasticity, limiting the amount of tearing within the dough. If salt is omitted from a recipe, this could cause a loaf to collapse.
- Other Ingredients – A modified recipe with too much yeast may cause bread to rise to fast, eventually collapsing. Too little yeast and the bread won’t rise sufficiently. When recipes are modified, we should keep existing ingredient ratios in mind in order to ensure that all chemical reactions such as fermentation remain intact.
These bread making tips are not all inclusive but they should give you something to think about. At the very least they should serve as a reminder of the importance of your ingredients.
Bread making machines can help you improve the quality of your family’s food. You control the ingredients!
Be sure to check out our listings of Bread making machines.
Sunbeam Programmable Bread Maker Countertop Kitchen Cooking Bread Machine
|Powered by phpBay Pro|