As a healthy and natural alternative to the chemical laden breads found in the majority of grocery stores, organic bread stands out as a means of ensuring that our bodies are kept as free of unnatural and potentially toxic chemicals as possible.
Understanding Organic Bread Ingredients
The term organic refers to any product that is grown or developed without the use of chemicals, pesticides, or artificial ingredients whatsoever. While vegetables and fruits that are grown using organic methods may not be as large or as vibrantly colored as their counterparts grown using chemical fertilizers, the flavors and health benefits cannot be disputed.
Organic bread is bread made without the use of products grown using artificial chemicals and fertilizers; and it is made with a focus on healthy all-natural ingredients that result in a much more healthy bread choice that is as tasty as it is healthy.
A Basic Organic Bread Recipe
The following basic recipe calls for organic ingredients and offers a good starting base for any intrepid baker to build upon to include an assortment of flavors, textures, and colors.
1. Sift dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl until well blended.
2. If are using a bread machine, place dry ingredients into bread machine’s bread pan.
3. Add the remaining ingredients and either set bread machine to a dough kneading cycle, or knead the dough by hand.
4. Allow the dough to rise for 30 minutes and repeat the kneading process.
5. Select the Whole Wheat setting on your bread machine, or bake the bread in a preheated oven at 350F for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Sunbeam Programmable Bread Maker Countertop Kitchen Cooking Bread Machine
|Powered by phpBay Pro|
Organic Bread Tips
- Ensure that all of your ingredients are as fresh as possible, this is especially important for your yeast. Yeast that is not fresh can lose its potency and result in bread that simply does not rise. The different flours that you use should also be as fresh as possible; if you are not sure of the age of your yeast or your flour then you should discard them and start with fresh new ingredients.
- To get a softer crust on your organic bread, remove it from the baking pan as soon as it is done and cover it with a damp dish towel. Be sure that the dish towel is just slightly damp so that you can avoid soggy bread!
Consider adding several flavor additions to your organic bread. Sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, and poppy seeds are excellent seed additions while thyme, chives, garlic, and rosemary are fantastic herb additions! Diced onions, olives, tomatoes, or peppers can add a burst of flavor with a burst of interesting color too!
- Keep experimenting with various organic ingredients for your bread and you are sure to come up with several combinations that will be a hit with your family and with your friends at your next dinner party!
Bread making machines can help ensure that you are serving your family the best foods possible.
Be sure to check out our listings of Bread making machines.